World Heritage Monument | (Churches and Convent of Old Goa)

Basilica of BomJesus(1594-1605), Old Goa

Basilica of Bom Jesus has a main altar, four side alters, two chapels, a sacristy and a choir. The richly carved main altar is dedicated to infant Jesus. Its facade is decorated with Ionic, Tuscan, Corinthian and composite pilasters show the application of classical orders. The added attraction of the church is the Chapel containing the relic of the body of St. Francis Xavier..

Se Cathedral(1562-1652),Old Goa

Se’Cathedralis the largest church among the group. The church has besides the main alter eight chapels alongside the aisles and six alters in the transept. There is a long nave, two aisles and a transept. Architecturally the building is in Portuguese Gothic style; the exterior of the building is Tuscan and the interior Corinthian. The main alter is dedicated to St. Catherine of Alexandria. The richly gilded panel shows the martyrdom of the saint

Church of St. Cajetan, Old Goa

Church of St. Cajetan is modeled on the original design of St. Peter’s Church at Rome. The main body of the Church is Greek cross on plan. The church is architecturally Corinthian both externally and internally while the gilded altar is richly carved in Baroque style.

Church and Convent of St. Francis of Assisi, Old Goa

St. Francis of Assisi has a nave with three chapelson either sides, a choir, two altars in the transepts and a main altar. The convent, which forms the annexure to the church, now houses the archaeological museum. The architecture shows the perfect mixture of Manuline, Tuscan and Baroque styles. The arch of the choir is highly decorated with Frescos showing floral decoration and either side of the main altar, beautiful large paintings on wood depict the life of the saint.

Chapel of St. Catherine, Old Goa

The Chapel of St. Catherine was first built in 1510 immediately after the conquest of Goa in the honor of St Catherine, later on it was rebuilt to its present status.

Church of Our Lady of Rosary (1542-1549), Old Goa

This Church built in Manueline style on the holy hill,stands on the same spot where Afonso de Albuquerque while commanding the battle with Bijapur Sultan got the news of his victory over his adversary. In the church there are two chapels and three altars with the main altar dedicated to Our Lady of Rosary.

Church of St. Augustine, Old Goa

The Church of Our Lady of Grace popularly known as St. Augustine Church according to the travelers, was the largest church complex in Old Goa with seminary, convent, library, cloisters, dormitories, galleries and number of cells. Now only ruins can be seen at the site due to the collapse of the vault the facade and part of the bell tower.

Other Protected Monuments |

Portal remains of St. Paul’s College, Old Goa

This was founded in 1541 for giving instructions to the new converts. As per the description of the travelers it had 200 teachers and 3000 students and St. Francis Xavier also taught at this institute. In 1556 the first printing press in Asia was introduced here. The incorrupt body of St. Francis Xavier when first brought from Sancian was also kept here.

Arch of Viceroy, Old Goa

This was built in 1600 A. D. by Francisco da Gama in the memory of his great grandfather Vasco da Gama, was later on re constructed in 1954.

Arch of Adil Shah’s Palace, Old Goa

The entrance of the palace of the Adilshah built of basaltconsists of a horizontal lintel resting on two intricately carved pillars. Earlier, the place of Adilshah was a magnificent building now in ruins was the residence of Portuguese Governor till 1695.

Chapel of St. Francis Xavier and connected buildings, Old Goa

Inside the Basilica of Bom Jesus to the south of main altar, there is a Chapel of St. Francis Xavier decorated with gilded twisted columns and floral decoration of wood, where the sacred relic of the body of St. Francis Xavier is housed. Adjoining to this a corridor, leads to the sacristy and convent area.

House of Bull, Old Goa

House of Bull, Old Goa is a two storyed house facing Se’ Cathedral. This was where the revenue used to be collected from the merchants.

Largo of St. Francis Xavier, Old Goa

The area between Se’ Cathedral and Basilica of Bom Jesus is the Largo of St. Francis Xavier, now separated by national highway 4A.

Largo of St. Cajetan,together with the other monuments, Old Goa

Presently the largo is occupied with a garden in front of St. Cajetan.


The fort Aguada built of laterite stone in 1512 comprises a lower fortification with bastions all around and an upper fort. The fort besides offering a safe berth to Portuguese ships was also their water storing point since the place had a perennial water supply. The word Aguada in Portuguese means a watering place.

Fortification Wall of Aguada Fortress (Lower), Condolim

This was built in 1612 by Portuguese and overlooking the Arabian Sea. It serves as a place for watering to Portuguese Armadas and a point for keeping close watch on intruders entering into the Mandoviriver. It has one bastion protruding towards the sea and four smaller bastions at different intervals.

Safa Masjid, Ponda

The SafaShahouri Masjid one of the 27 mosques built in Ponda by Ibrahim Adilshah in 1560 is a small single chambered mosque with tiled roof having flight of steps in front. Adjacent to and south of the mosque there is a masonry water tank measuring 30×30 mt with Mihrab design.

Rock Cut Caves, Arvalim

excavated in laterite hill consisting of two major caves and a residential chamber at the south east end, the cave excavation are running continuously and divided by thin rock cut walls, facing south west. The caves are provided with couple of steps leading to an open courtyard which in turn reach into a pillared front hall or Ardhamandapa. From where, entrance steps lead into the cave shrines. There is a Brahmi inscription datable to early 7th century A.D.

Mahadev Temple, Tambdisurla

It is the only outstanding temple that survives the ravages and vandalism, preserved intact amidst serene picturesque Anmod Ghats, dedicated to lord Shiva belongs to 13th century A. D. ascribed to Goa-Kadamba dynasty. The temple consists of Garbhagriha (sanctum), Antaral (vestibule) and pillared Nandi Mandapa (pillared hall) and is built of Chloride Schist. The Mandapa has balustrade entrances on three sides with Kakshana arrangement.

Mahadev Temple, Kurdi

This is a transplanted temple, originally located 17 km south east of the present location in Kurdi/Angodon the bank of the river Salaulem. The construction of the dam had threatened the submergence of the temple, hence it was systematically dismantled and was reconstructed at the present site providing similar topographical setting. It consists of a square Garbhagriha, antarala and mandapa. The extant superstructure is built of both laterite and basalt stone/schist.

Excavated site Chandor

This is located on the KushavatiRiver and has been identified as the ancient city of Chandrapur which served as a capital for the Bhojas and uptoKadambas (4th to 11th Century A. D.) besides as a port town. The site was subjected to excavation in 1930’s, 1975 and in 2000-03.